Sorry, this entry is only available in Deutsch.
Yesterday about 6.000 supporters of the ultranationalist “Right Sector” gathered on Maidan square in Kiev and called for a “new stage of Ukrainian revolution”, as Dmitry Yarosh put it. The protesters called on government officials, especially Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, to resign and shouted “death to enemies”, RT reports by referring to TASS. The threats seem to be serious as Right Sector played a huge role in the US-backed Maidan uprising last year and their politically motivated murders continue to be carried out.
Right Sector is using the bad economic and social situation in Western Ukraine to call for no-confidence and martial law votes to win over the population to their side of the bloody power struggle in Ukraine. Speaking on the rally, visited by many Right Sector supporters in camouflaged uniforms, leader Dmitry Yarosh said the group intended to be “showing that [it is] a disciplined revolutionary force.” Although the rally was peaceful, Right Sector made its intentions very clear: peaceful take-over or revolution.
We saw last year what kind of revolution the Right Sector probably has in mind: a neo-fascist, nationalist, racist uprising, in which “separatists”, other political opponents (especially communists), ethnic Russians and other minorities are subjected to systematic discrimination and murders like the Odessa massacre (which left up to 150 people dead, further investigation systematically hindered by the Ukrainian government) can go unpunished.
As the situation sharpens, the political situation in Western Ukraine continues to be worrying.
Since right-wing extremists of the ultra-nationalist party “Right Sector” in Ukraine around its leader Dimitry Jarosch provided the Kiev government with an ultimatum to overthrow their current president Petro Poroshenko, cities – mainly in the Western part of the country – and their governing authorities were stormed by “Right Sector” militias.
In recent days, supporters and members of the right-wing extremist/neo-fascist group built barricades and checkpoints in several parts of the Ukraine and around Kiev. Now the situation seems to be escalating in all of Ukraine – West and East.
The following events and attacks involving the “Right Sector” took place in recent days:
• In Donetsk an assassination attempt on Elena Fillippova, the secretary of DPR Prime Minister Zakharchenko, was committed. An explosive device was placed in the passenger seat of her car. She is currently in hospital.
• The “Right Sector” blocks the checkpoints in Mukachevo after deadly clashes with police. Civilians and inhabitants of the city were evacuated. The negotiations seem to have failed: the mercenaries of the “Right Sector” do not want to lay down their arms without explicit command of their leaders.
• The editor of the opposition newspaper “working class” (Communist Party of Ukraine), ex-deputy of the Rada was accused for “separatism” in court.
• In the city of Kharkov right-wing extremists of the “Right Sector” harassed young men on the marketplace. When they saw that they were being filmed, they detained the cameraman – accusation: “separatism”.
• Several murders of Maidan-critical journalists and officials belonging to the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic were committed. Members or supporters of “Right Sector” are suspected of having murdered them.