Since right-wing extremists of the ultra-nationalist party “Right Sector” in Ukraine around its leader Dimitry Jarosch provided the Kiev government with an ultimatum to overthrow their current president Petro Poroshenko, cities – mainly in the Western part of the country – and their governing authorities were stormed by “Right Sector” militias.
In recent days, supporters and members of the right-wing extremist/neo-fascist group built barricades and checkpoints in several parts of the Ukraine and around Kiev. Now the situation seems to be escalating in all of Ukraine – West and East.
The following events and attacks involving the “Right Sector” took place in recent days:
• In Donetsk an assassination attempt on Elena Fillippova, the secretary of DPR Prime Minister Zakharchenko, was committed. An explosive device was placed in the passenger seat of her car. She is currently in hospital.
• The “Right Sector” blocks the checkpoints in Mukachevo after deadly clashes with police. Civilians and inhabitants of the city were evacuated. The negotiations seem to have failed: the mercenaries of the “Right Sector” do not want to lay down their arms without explicit command of their leaders.
• The editor of the opposition newspaper “working class” (Communist Party of Ukraine), ex-deputy of the Rada was accused for “separatism” in court.
• In the city of Kharkov right-wing extremists of the “Right Sector” harassed young men on the marketplace. When they saw that they were being filmed, they detained the cameraman – accusation: “separatism”.
• Several murders of Maidan-critical journalists and officials belonging to the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic were committed. Members or supporters of “Right Sector” are suspected of having murdered them.